A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Wednesday, January 21

Such is life

For some reason I keep thinking I have less time than I actually have. For example, I kept thinking that I would only have saturday morning to finish finalizing a logo for GD3, but I actually have all night on friday to work on it also. And I can also work on it tomorrow night, while I am catching up on films for class.

Today after class, my friend was like, "There are 3 Hermiones in this class." And I was like, "What?Who?" She said I was and she was and this other girl that sits across the room is. We both agreed that we didn't really want to be Hermiones, but no one else will speak up and sometimes Dr. J just proposes questions that he refuses to answer himself. I can't handle the silence so I speak. And I've found that it generally doesn't matter what you say, but I have noticed that he just wants input from everyone and so I try not to answer every single question. I do answer frequently though and I'm sure he and everybody is like god shut up.

There's a guy in that class with a thick Spanish speaking accent that is sooo lovely to hear and thank goodness Dr. J asks him a lot of questions.

I had to watch this Ted Talk this evening on perception and of course it made a lot of sense. (Most Ted Talks do.) My GD3 teacher wanted us to think about the speech in relation to visual communication, but I can only think about how Dr. J lives for changing student's perceptions. He gave this lecture on Halloween about the history of the devil and how we all immediately think big scary red guy because of a translation that was lacking the breadth of the other language. I'm summarizing, but I think that's the gist. Maybe not everybody thought this, but I definitely wondered what the world would be like if the translators had chosen a different word for the devil. That's probably not the best example of perception changing, but he really does try.

I've just realized that it's 11:15 and I'm totally going to have to stay up all night finishing some sketches. This sucks. But at least now I know NOT to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment