A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Sunday, September 18

The thing about cars

Is that you have to have one. You have to own one or you have to have a friend that owns one or you have to call a business that will drive over to get you and take you to where you need to go in one. At least, that's what you have to do in Alabama. I know in imaginary perfect land or Amish country, you can walk every where or ride your trusty bicycle or a horse and buggy. It turns out that I never have and never will live in imaginary perfect land. Or Amish country, for that matter.
I have to drive everywhere. It's not because I'm fat and I hate walking. (Although, that is one reason.) All the time I think about how I'm slowly killing my planet because I have to drive a car that consumes precious gas. 
I can't say that it's impossible to bike from Gadsden to JSU everyday, but honestly it's damn near. How long would it take to bike from Gadsden to Madison? Would I want to do that ever other weekend? I'm really curious about what's going to happen when gas becomes too expensive to buy like we buy it now. Will we be forced to carpool and require less jobs in the car manufacturing industry which will cause a whole nother crisis? Will humans become hermits and never travel to other parts of their country, much less other parts of the world? Or will we find another way? So many questions.

Anyway, I don't have a car.
And every time somebody in my family brings it up, I cry. So, there's that.


In other news, the episode of Doctor Who that I just watched has devastated me.

No comments:

Post a Comment