A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Monday, September 1

human thesaurus

Remember how in a previous post, I mentioned that I was going to draw more because I was taking a drawing class and drawing is kind of okay and plus I'm an art major so I should do more art stuff. So I've decided to do more art stuff. I've been thinking about this blog lately and what I could do to liven it up a bit. I've had such a hard time finding anything to write about. Not all of my posts are gold, but they are all things I'm at least interested in. I've kept this blog up mainly because I love to journal, & in this I can edit easily and without inhibitions. I can never bring myself to physically write in a book on the reg. Plus I've always been the kind of person that wants a tiny bit of attention so I like sharing on the internet. I'm saying all that to say that I'm going to post a sketchbook page every so often. Maybe consistently. I am famously consistently inconsistent so we'll see. But at least I'm not just going to mention it and then forget about actually starting it because here's the first one!

This is a blind contour self portrait. I drew it over the summer because I had to for class. It sucks but I like it.

I made this decision to add more drawy art stuff with huge influence from this cool person Sarah. She's doing this thing called 'get messy' and it seems really fun, and while it is very inspiring, that level of structure is too much for my livelihood. I followed her links to the other 'get messy' blogs and this one in particular is pretty damn sweet. I just want to post my sketchbook and so I will. Plus I'm enamored with handwriting(including my own) and I so want to have more of it on here.


Speaking of previous posts, I am still enthralled with this song by Bastille that I mentioned in this post. I've never been the kind of person to dissect the meaning behind a song. Most of the time, I like a song because of the way the words sound coming out of someone's mouth. You know? Like the way a word feels. But not in an emotional type way, more a physical way, but obviously you can't actually touch a word. Kind of similar to how some textures are pleasing while others are irksome. Is this too artsy fartsy or do other people think this way too? Anyway, in the song Dan sings either "There's a hole in my soul, I can't feel it, I can't feel it" or "There's a hole in my soul, I can't fill it, I can't fill it." Deductive reasoning would suggest that it is "fill it" because hole and stuff, but I dunno. I don't really care to look it up. I like to think about the differences while I'm listening to the song.

The other day, the girl I work with(I've never mentioned her before now, but she started in our office near the beginning of summer.) was writing something for class and asked P & I about a word or something and P was like, "Oh ask Annabelle she's the English person" and then M laughed and said, "Are you a human thesaurus?" I told her that alas, I am not, and I must rely on the google machine to do all the dirty work. I think that would be my dream super power. How lame! But still, I would love it.

That reminds me of one of my favorite conversations I ever had with Dr. G about his overuse of words. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when I was in his class, I pointed out that he says things & crap & stuff a lot. Did not point that out to bust his balls. Just made an observation. I just notice those kinds of things because I love a thesaurus. He gave this lovely analogy of how I'm like that character in Lord of the Rings that stabbed somebody & left a little piece in & now it just hurts. I miss him and our banter!

G and I watched Bad Words a few days ago and it was kinda cringe-y to watch with her. If you knew her you'd understand. It was a good movie though. Solid. It had a good moral, too. Which was: Don't be an asshole to anyone. Even if they're being a huge asshole to you. If you retaliate, you will look like the bigger idiot, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment