A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Saturday, April 4

My favorite class

I have waited and watched enough to warrant a whole post about it. If you can believe it, I've seen all these and I'm still 12 behind, plus 6 more that I'm not behind, but still have to watch. I've got 2 weeks and if I'm very diligent, I think I can finish before the final.

Moving Images Update:
Mulholland Drive, Lynch, 2001 - So so so strange. My professor explained the movie to us afterward and I liked it a little more after that. I love when things have reasons, but I also love when they don't. This movie could work both ways. I can't say I loved it, but I appreciate it.
Easy Rider, Hopper, 1969 - Great soundtrack and young Jack Nicholson was great. I didn't really connect to the plot, but I guess that's okay because it seemed to mostly be about drugs and motorcycles.
Shock Corridor, Fuller, 1964 - People keep telling me to fake it 'til you make it, and I would say this movie is a great example of pretending to be something until it's true.
Satan’s Brew, Fassbinder, 1976 - I just watched this yesterday with a group of friends from class. We weren't even paying full attention to the movie and it was still rough. It's in German with subtitles. It's so weird and not the good kind. I don't want to ever watch it again.
Who are you Polly Maggoo, Klien, 1966 - It's french so everything is pretty. I liked the commentary on discerning what's real and what's fake in this life of ours.
Kind Hearts and Coronets, Hamer, 1949 - Funniest voice over. Lots of murder. It was a fun time.
Frasier: Season 5 - I had seen a few episodes of Frasier, but it must've been from a later season. I can totally see why Dr. J loves this show.
Doctor Who (reboot), Seasons 1-2 - Of course, I had already seen these. I re-watched most of them though. I had forgotten about the episode Love & Monsters and it's one of my favorites. It's sad and absurd and funny and beautiful, which are all of the reasons I love the show. Me and about 80% of my class did a response project on Doctor Who. Here's mine.
Barrow, The Doctor Goes To The Doctor, 2015
The Night of the Hunter, Laughton, 1955 - I loved this movie. It really spoke to me for some reason. I loved the hilarious little girl, the weirdly beautiful dead body, the creepy preacher that used religion for evil, the hard-nosed lady that used religion for good, the fact that it's pretty much a fairy tale. It was just good.
Lord of the Flies, Brook, 1963 - It's fucked up that humans would reduce to this, and the way the movie was shot made it feel so documentary-like and realistic. I kind of want to read the book now.
Sisters, De Palam, 1974 - I described this to a friend in class as, "It's about conjoined twins... kind of." and my professor was like, "wtf, really?" but I stand by my statement.
Watership Down, Rosen, 1978 - I've seen this movie three times now and I still don't understand the beginning. I love the animation though. I think I'm going to do my final response project on it because I also love that it's animated movie, which are usually for children, that is so violent.
Macbeth, Polanski, 1971 - I slept on and off during this whole movie. When I wasn't sleeping, I was focusing on trying not to fall asleep. My sleeping has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, I just hadn't slept in about 24 hours so a dark room with people speaking Shakespearean English was a dangerous combination. I did fully wake up at the end when Macbeth's head was sliced off. That was exciting. I'll have to re-watch because I don't know that much about Macbeth, except for the witches and the fact it's called "The Scottish Play".
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cassavetes, 1976 - It felt very 70's and I just wasn't that into it.
The Honeymoon Killers, Kastle, 1969 - Featuring Mobile, AL. The main lady really gave southern women a bad name and I hate that, but I guess real southern ladies give southern women a bad name so I suppose it's realistic. She was just a whiny brat and I wanted to slap her.
Eating Raoul, Bartel, 1982 - Very funny. Lots of irony and I freaking love irony. Super farce-y. It was also very eighties and I love that. I kind of half-watched while I was working on some stuff for school and I'll have to re-watch over the summer when I have some more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment