A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Tuesday, May 19

Writing to a friend


I listened to a Tim Ferriss video recently (I'm currently obsessed with all things Tim Ferriss) where he talked about how much easier, and better, it was to write his book The 4 Hour Work Week, like he was emailing 2 of his close friends. He communicated through writing more effectively when he wrote directly to his friends.

That's the thing that I have used to write this blog for all these years. I say it all the time to her, maybe to the point of exasperation haha, but Rosh is the person I'm talking to when I'm typing here. At least that's who I try to keep in mind. Sometimes I forget and I'm just talking to myself, but those are still things I would probably say to Roshni anyway. I always like re-reading my writing more when I've written this way. I've usually edited them in a way that's conversational. And I'm nosey as fuck so conversations interest me.

Just a second ago, I finished writing an email to Caleb. I was sending him something from an Austin Kleon newsletter that I thought he'd enjoy. While I was searching through my email to see if I was using his correct email address, I re-discovered some emails from Selina. It's funny to me that this happened because in that thing that I sent Caleb, Kleon links to one of his previous posts called "more search, less feed" and from there he links to a post where he talks about his love of the search box, which I also have a lot of love for. And anyway, that all relates somehow.

I only have a fraction of the email conversations between Selina and I. It's also only the emails I sent. I have a few guesses as to why I only have a few and why they're only the ones I sent, but I don't actually have a true answer. My best guess is that at some point I was on a deletion spree and that was paired with having some feelings about our friendship and rather than dealing with the feelings, I made the emails disappear instead. I don't feel that way now, but time softens everything. I'm thankful to have the emails that I still have. They have a similar feeling to these blog posts. I was writing them to one person, a friend. 




*Notice that this was 13 years ago


*Turns out that everyone owns their firstname lastname email both with and without the '.'


*Reading about my crushes is always so cringe to me. I'm trying to be kind to myself, but god I sound like an idiot.






Because I love comparing and contrasting, here's what I've noticed.
  • I used to type differently. For example, "ok" instead of "okay" like I do now(I found this out in the IMs from the email with IMs.). I also used to make a smile like "(:" instead of ":)" and I rarely capitalized my sentences or the letter 'I'. 
  • I don't know where I picked it up, but I still love being creative with email sign offs.
  • I'm still so weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment