A blog cultivated by Annabelle Barrow & she's kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough to stop posting and delete the thing.

Monday, October 26

eureka moments

I was reading Swiss Miss and could not resist clicking on this tea towel because it says "cooking as therapy" on it. And then I had an epiphany.
One of my professors keeps bringing up this idea of introspection (or maybe that's not the word he kept saying, but that's the only word I can think of right now). That phenomenon where you're doing something that is physical and takes only a little bit of brain power, like when you're driving on a long stretch of highway that you've been down a zillion times before, and you think of a great solution to that problem you were having.
Anyway, that day in class, I said that my thing is probably knitting and baking and my prof was like well there's a different kind of thinking that takes place when you're baking and I argued with him for a couple seconds and then the conversation changed to something else, and that was that. While I do think that there is a bit of that relaxed, introspection that can take place while habitual baking, I didn't realize until I read that tea towel from earlier that what definitely happens for me is therapy. I like the give and take when baking and cooking. It's something I can control. And that's nice because I've been slapped in the face lately with the fact that I'm a control freak. I'm not super thrilled about it because I'm caught up with the negative connotations. Oh, the graphic designer blues.
I haven't baked in a while and I realized that I really miss it. I think I'll make some cupcakes this weekend. Just in time to celebrate my favorite holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment